Cheese and sweet chilli sauce scones
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These savoury scones are perfect as an afternoon treat. The sweet chilli sauce adds a spicy kick to eat bite with a gentle sweetness too. This recipe makes 8 medium sized scones. If you don’t eat them within 2-3 days, pop them in an airtight container and freeze overnight/during the day when needed. These scones are perfect for parties served with colds meats or simply spread with golden butter.
- 225g self-raising flour.
- 1tsp baking powder.
- Pinch of salt
- 30g butter
- 120g mature cheddar cheese.
- 3tbsp Sweet chilli sauce.
- 1 egg (beaten lightly)
- Splash of milk
Scone don’t require kneading like bread. Over mixing can cause them to be dry and hard as a result. The trick is to be fairly swift when bringing the mixture together and get hem cut and in the oven asap. The mixtures starts rising as soon as the wet ingredients touches the dry part.
- Pre-heat oven 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Sift the flour baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Put the butter in the mixing bowl and rub it into the flour until there are no big lumps. Grate the cheese and mix it into the dry ingredients.
- Beat the egg with the chilli sauce and use this to bring together the dry ingredients, if needed use a splash of milk to form a dough .
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and pat out with your hand to 1’’ thick. (or use a rolling pin if you prefer) Cut into squares approximately 5cm squared.
- Continue gathering off cuts and rerolling and cutting until all the dough is used up.
- Place fairly close together on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden. Serve straight from the oven or cold.