Chicken, cottage cheese and lemon puff pastry pie
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This recipe is a speedy mid-week option that the whole family can enjoy together. Serving 4-5 people, this recipe combines tender chicken fillets with a crisp buttery pastry and a tangy garlic undertone which makes a delicious duo. Serve with a fresh handful of crisp salad leaves like lettuce and rocket.
- 3 chicken fillets.
- 2-3tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ red pepper.
- 300g cottage cheese.
- Zest of ½ a small lemon.
- 75g-100g grated cheese
- 1 packet of ready rolled puff pastry (320g)
Be free with the overall look of your pie. You can make individual ones using pie trays or go free hand and make samosa style ones.
- Pre-heat oven 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Finely chop the onion, garlic and red pepper and fry in oil until almost caramelised.
- Meanwhile place the chicken fillets in a saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- Cut up the cooked chicken into pieces roughly 1cm cubed. Mix this with onions garlic and red pepper.
- Using a sieve drain the liquid from the cottage cheese, place into a jug and blend until smooth. Add the lemon zest and give it a good mix. Put aside.
- Grease a baking sheet with butter and place the puff pastry sheet flat onto it ready to receive the contents of the pie.
- Combine the lemony cottage cheese with the other ingredients in the frying pan, and then place the mixture down the centre of the pastry. Sprinkle the filling with grated cheese.
- Fold up the edges one over the other like a sausage roll for instance. Seal up the two open edges by pressing them together. Flip the whole pie over so that the seam is facing down. Brush with milk and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.