Crumble top, lemon curd shortbread
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These delicious slices are very rich and tasty - one is enough for anybody. If you donít enjoy lemon curd you can replace it with your favourite jam or apple sauce or how about some Nutella chocolate spread. These easy to make shortbreads are sure to put a smile on the kidsí faces. This recipe makes 8 medium sized shortbread with a buttery, crumbling topping. Serve with a scoop of ice cream fro dessert and drizzle with lemon sauce for an extra kick.
- 220g plain flour
- 30g cornflour
- 180g butter
- 80g caster sugar
- 4tbsp lemon curd
If you are concerned the bottom of the shortbread will burn in the second cooking, place a sheet of tin foil shiniest side down and place the tin of shortbread on top. This will reflect the heat away from the underside of the tin.
- Preheat oven gas 4/180C/350F. Grease a rectangular cake tin roughly 25cm by 10cm.
- Sieve the flour and cornflour into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and the butter and rub together with your fingertips. When it resembles a crumble texture, stop.
- Take two thirds of the mix and press down lightly into the cake tin. Prick with a fork and bake in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes, it should look almost done (like pale straw colour) but not brown on top.
- Once out of the oven spread a layer of lemon curd straight on top the shortbread keeping it in the tin. Cover the lemon curd with the remaining crumble mix pat down very lightly and place it back into the oven for 15- 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely before removing from the tin. Cut into desirable slices.