Spicy green chilli onion bhajis
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These spicy green chilli onion bhajis are bursting with flavour and certainly turn up the heat factor. Who can resist a flavour-packed onion bhaji? Whether itís nibbles on a Friday night in front of the tv, party food or as a starter to a larger Indian meal, onion bhajis are a classic loved by all. If youíve never had a go at making them yourself, youíll be surprised just how easy they are and you wonít be disappointed in the delicious home-made flavour either! They are made with Indian chick pea flour known as gram flour which youíll find in many major supermarkets and Asian grocers. If you canít find it though, no worries, simply replace with plain flour.
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 large onions, peeled
- 1 green chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2tsp turmeric
- 1tsp garam masala
- A small handful of fresh chopped coriander
- 125g gram flour (see Thatís good to know)
- Chutneys and salad to serve
Experiment with different spices. Try adding ground cumin or coriander or add some mustard, fennel or onion seeds.
- Fill a large saucepan two-thirds full with vegetable oil. Heat gently until the oil is hot. To test if the oil is ready add a cube of bread and it should sizzle and brown within 1 minute.
- Whilst the oil is heating, on a chopping cut the onions in half through the root end then place each half, flat-side down on the board. Cut into medium-thick slices. Place in a bowl and sprinkle over remaining ingredients. Season well with salt and use your hands to toss the ingredients together to combine. The onions should be well coated in the flour and spices. Drizzle over a few drops of water and mix again.
- When the oil is ready wet your hands and take out small handfuls of the onion mixture from the bowl. Place straight into the hot oil and fry in batches, turning over for 1 min or until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and keep warm on a baking tray in a low oven whilst cooking remaining bhajis. Serve with chutneys and salad.