Lemon curd and cream cheese spiral buns
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Beautifully light and gorgeously zingy tear and share treat. Itís soft and moist on the inside and lightly crispy on the edges. This one is wonderful on its own or go full whack and serve with custard as a warm wintery pudding. Best eaten on the day itís made but perfectly good the next day also. This recipe serves 8-10 people making it great for sharing.
- 300g self raising flour
- Ĺ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 50g caster sugar
- 80g butter
- 2 eggs
- Splash of milk
- 100g full fat cream cheese
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
- 2tbsp soft brown sugar
Remember donít knead this kind of dough it just requires bring together into a ball a soon as its stuck together roll it out to use. Over working this dough diminishes its lightness.
- Preheat the oven 180įC/350įF/Gas Mark 4 and grease an 8 inch non-stick loose bottomed cake tin with butter.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour until is resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the caster sugar. Lightly beat 2 eggs and add to the mixing bowl, bring the dough together with a splash of milk if needed.
- Roll out onto a floured surface into a rectangle roughly 40cm by 25cm.
- Mix together the cream cheese, lemon curd and soft brown sugar and spread across the surface of the dough leaving a 3cm space along 1 long edge. Now roll up like a Swiss roll. Keep it as tight as possible as you roll. Divide into 9 fairly equal slices across the roll to make spirals. Swiftly put them into the greased tin spiral side down. They will swell up and fill in the spaces in between each one so donít worry about the gaps but do use all the spirals.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown, to test insert a skewer into the centre, if it comes out clean itís cooked. If not place it back into the oven and check every 3-5 minutes. Ovens vary so check after 35 minutes if you are using a fan assisted oven.
- Melt 3 tbsp of lemon curd in the microwave about 15 -20 seconds is enough just to loosen it. Pour and spread over the top of the spirals. Remove from the tin and serve.