Spiced celeriac and sweet potato bake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This is a very tasty way to eat celeriac. The warm spices compliment the flavour of this vegetable very well and sweetness from the potato gives it that comforting element and also colour. And of course being wheat and dairy free anyone can enjoy this recipe. This delicious bake will serve 4 people leaving them happy and full to the brim.
- 2 sweet potatoes (approx 400g)
- ½ a celeriac (approx 600g)
- 600ml soya milk.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 50g soya spread
- 2tsp mild curry paste
This would be just as good with parsnips instead of celeriac, and well if you are not vegan go ahead and top with cheese!
- Preheat oven 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Lightly grease a 3-pint casserole dish with the soya spread.
- Pour 600ml of soya milk into a jug and add 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic, salt and the curry paste, whisk thoroughly to release the flavours into the milk. Set aside
- Peel the celeriac and the potatoes; slice them very thinly keeping them in separate piles.
- Starting with celeriac make layers in the casserole dish until all the vegetables are used up. Pour in the prepared milk mixture, press the vegetables down and cover with tin foil.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes then remove the foil, continue to cook for a further 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, you will notice the milk has separated, very carefully tip away the watery liquid and return it to the oven to finish off for 10 minutes.