Sweet orange popcorn
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Orange popcorn is so easy to make and perfect for sharing with the whole family too. A sweet citrusy flavours makes this lower-calorie snack a favourite. Once you’ve perfected this recipe you can try it with lemon or lime instead. Serve this popcorn in a large family-sized bowl and let everyone help themselves. The perfect TV snack.
- 60ml oil (not olive oil)
- 100g corn kernels
- ½tsp salt
- 40g butter
- 1tsp orange extract
- 2-3 tbsp vanilla sugar
To make vanilla sugar: Cut open 2 vanilla pods down the centre and place them both into a 1kg packet of icing sugar. Give it a good mix and leave for 1 week before using. The pods can stay in there until all the sugar is used.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a medium to high heat. Add the salt and corn and put the lid on quickly.
- Shake the pan to keep the corn moving in the oil and to prevent burning.
- The popping will become rapid and then slow to a pop every 3 seconds or so. Be ready to pour into a large heatproof container as the popping stops.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and stir in the orange extract. Using a spoon sprinkle onto the prepared popcorn stirring as you go.
- Using a sieve dust the popcorn with vanilla infused icing sugar. Mix it up so that it’s evenly distributed. Have a taste test and add more sugar if you like it sweeter.