Spicy butternut squash and coconut soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This is a real winter warmer soup. The creamed coconut is so easy to use in soups and gives a wonderful creamy flavour without using any cream! Itís a delicious recipe thatís full of flavour and healthy too. The coconut and butternut squash really do make a great combination which is not to be missed out on. Serve with warm crusty bread and enjoy!
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 butternut squash approx 1.5kg
- Ĺ sachet of creamed coconut
- 1 tsp mild curry paste
- 1tsp dried rosemary
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
If you cant get hold of a butternut squash you can use sweet potato instead and how about adding a carrot!
- Finely chop the onion and garlic and fry in a saucepan until caramelised.
- Peel and chop the butternut squash and add to the pan with 700ml of water.
- Bring to the boil and add the stock cube, rosemary, salt, curry paste and creamed coconut.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Using a plunge blender straight into the saucepan, blend a part of the soup but not all of it to give varying texture. Serve on its own or with bread and butter.