Salted caramel tart
Total time:plus chilling/cooling time
Skill level: Bit of effort
This salted caramel tart has a creamy toffee-like filling with sea salt flakes sprinkled over the top. It is easy to make but does take a little patience - don't worry though, it's well worth the wait. Perfect for sharing this tart will feed between 12-14 hungry people and is delicious served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of single cream for dessert. You can use already made shortcrust pastry in this recipe to speed up the cooking process.
- About 185g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 150g caster sugar
- 300ml carton double cream
- 150g light brown muscovado sugar
- 100g butter
- 4tbsps golden syrup
- 1/2tsp sea-salt flakes
- 100g granulated sugar
- 15g flaked almonds
If you don't want to make the caramel praline topping, then drizzle over some melted chocolate.
- Roll our the pastry thinly to line tart tin. Chill the pastry case for 30 minutes.
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Line the pastry case with baking parchment, fill with baking beans and bake for 15 minutes. Take out the paper and beans and cook for another 10 minutes, until golden and crisp. Leave in the tin to cool. To make the filling: Heat the caster sugar with 3tbsps water in a heavy-based pan without stirring, until dissolved.
- Turn up the heat and boil for 10 minutes, watching it, until it turns a rich amber. Take it off the heat and add the cream straight away (it will bubble up, so watch it) and stir in the muscovado sugar, butter and syrup. Put back on the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until thickened and a darker brown. Take off the heat and add the salt. Cool for 10 minutes, then pour into the baked tart case, cool and chill until set (overnight is best).
- To make the topping: put the granulated sugar and 2tbsps water in a heavy- based pan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and bubble until it turns amber. Swirl the pan occasionally, so it colours evenly. Add the almonds and cook for 1 minute, stirring, then pour onto a foil-lined baking tray, which has been oiled. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- To serve, crack the praline into shards and scatter over the tart. Sprinkle with more salt.
Looking for food gifts? We've got plenty more to choose from!
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 350(kcal)
- Fat 22.0g
- Saturates 12.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.