Italian ham and cheese filo tart
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This delicious Italian ham and cheese filo tart recipe is so easy to make. Full of flavour and texture, one bite of this simple summer tart and you'll be instantly transported to a balmy Mediterranean piazza. This classic Italian tart is best eaten alfresco along with heaps of fresh crisp salad. Ideal for sharing you could have this tart for dinner and any leftovers could be kept for lunch the next day. Ham and cheese makes a delicious combo but you could also try chicken or beef instead.
- 4 filo pastry sheets
- 30g butter, melted
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 150g prosciutto (2 x 75g packs)
- 2 medium eggs
- 250g tub ricotta cheese
- 60g Taleggio cheese
- 1-2 courgettes
- Grated zest of ½ lemon
- About 1 tbsp chopped roasted hazelnuts
- Baking tray, lined with parchment
You could try this recipe with chicken or beef instead
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. To make the filling: Soften the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp of the oil for a few mins, then tear the prosciutto straight into the pan and fry for another couple of mins.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl, then whisk in the ricotta until smooth. Stir in the onion mixture and some seasoning.
- Lay a sheet of filo pastry on the baking tray and brush with a little butter. Top with a second sheet, butter it, then repeat with the third and fourth sheets.
- Spread the ricotta mix in the centre, leaving a 10cm border. Draw up the pastry so just a little filling is visible. Top with slices of Taleggio. Brush the pastry edges with butter and bake for 25 mins until crisp and golden.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 24(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.