Soft meringues on berry coulis
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This is one of our easy and favourite berry recipes. Fluffy meringues floating on a delicious strawberry coulis is a delicious dessert recipe that serves up to 4 people. Perfect as a dinner party or weekend treat, the gooey meringues and sweet strawberry coulis make a delicious, mouth-watering combination. You could also serve this recipe in a tall glass with ice cream as an ice cream sundae alternative.
- 300g strawberries
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- Juice of 1 lime, to taste
- 2 med egg whites
- 125g caster sugar
- 300ml milk
- 90g granulated sugar
If you're not confident in making the meringues from scratch, use shop bought ones instead
- To make the coulis, put about 250g of the strawberries, the icing sugar and lime juice in a blender and whizz until mixed. Push the mixture through a sieve to make a smooth sauce. Finely chop the rest of the strawberries and set aside in a small bowl.
- To make the meringues: Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl to soft peaks, then gradually whisk in the sugar until soft, shiny and fairly stiff.
- Pour the milk into a shallow pan and bring to a simmer. Put dessertspoonfuls of meringue mix into the milk and gently poach for 2 mins. Flip them over and poach for 1-2 mins, until spongy. Do this in 2 or 3 batches. Put them on a flat plate, while you cook the rest.
- To make the sauce: Put the sugar in a pan over a high heat, shaking it occasionally, so the sugar melts to a deep amber. Take off the heat, add 2 tbsp cold water to stop it cooking, then put back on a low heat to let the caramel dissolve again.
- Pour the coulis into 4 shallow plates. Place 3 meringues on top of each, add chopped berries, then drizzle with caramel sauce and serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 317(kcal)
- Fat 3.0g
- Saturates 1.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.