Total time:plus cooling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
This strawberry cake is baked with fresh strawberries and is delicious served warm with cream or may even be served as a dessert with custard or a scoop of ice cream. This sweet bake is so simple to make and serves between 8-10 people. It's best served on the day and stored in the fridge to keep the strawberries fresh. Each slice contains 397 calories. Enjoy this cake in the summer sunshine with friends and family.
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 175g ground almonds
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 500g strawberries, hulled and halved
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 23cm (9in) loose-based cake tin, buttered and lined
This cake is best eaten on the day it's baked
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line the 23cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and 2tbsps warm water. Mix in nuts, flour and spice.
- Spread half the mixture in the tin to the edges. Place most of the strawberries on top (reserve a few small halves), then spread the rest of the cake mixture on top and scatter with the rest of the fruit.
- Bake for about 1 hour 10 minutes. Check after an hour, and if it’s getting too brown, cover with paper. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then loosen edges with a knife. Slide cake onto a plate and dust with icing sugar. Serve warm or cooled, with cream or yogurt.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 397(kcal)
- Fat 26.0g
- Saturates 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.