Rice pudding with boozy compote
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This classic rice pudding recipe is finished with a hint of liqueur which makes it extra special. It is great as a dinner party dessert and is very easy to make. With a creamy, delicious rice mix and a sweet strawberry and raspberry liqueur compote, this recipe serves 4 people and takes up to 1hr to make. Each portion contains 244 calories and 6g of fat. Dust with sugar and serve.
- 600ml full-fat milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds scraped out
- 60g short-grain pudding rice
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 300g strawberries, whole or halved
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 1-2tbsp raspberry liqueur (see tip)
- 4 ramekins or similar dishes
We like Chambord black raspberry liqueur to add a kick to summer-fruit recipes.
- ousTo make the rice, put the milk, vanilla pod and seeds, rice and sugar into a large, heavy-based pan. Heat gently and bring to the boil, then simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 mins, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked, the milk is almost absorbed and the texture is creamy. Remove the vanilla pod. Cool the rice for about 10 mins. Spoon into the 4 ramekins and chill.
- To make the compote: Put the strawberries and sugar in a pan, cover and cook over a gentle heat for about 5 mins, to dissolve the sugar and soften the fruit a little. Using a slotted spoon, take the fruit out of the pan and put into a dish. Add the raspberry liqueur to the syrup and bring to the boil for a few mins, to reduce it and make it more syrupy. Pour over the fruit.
- Spoon a little warm or cooled strawberry compote onto the rice and serve the rest of the compote in a jug.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 244(kcal)
- Fat 6.0g
- Saturates 3.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.