Open Mediterranean lasagne
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This layered open Mediterranean lasagne is lighter than your average lasagne recipe. It's perfect for lazy summer lunches or as a light dinner that the whole family can enjoy together. This dish is easy to make and quick to prepare which makes it an all-round favourite. This recipe serves up to 4 people and only takes 45 mins to rustle up. It combines tender aubergine with red onion and creamy mozzarella to make one mouth-watering dish.
- 2 medium aubergines, trimmed
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced in rings
- 4 sheets fresh lasagne, halved
- 2 x 125g packs mozzarella cheese, drained, each sliced into 8
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp red pesto or chilli pesto
- A few basil leaves, for garnish
Fresh lasagne is quicker to cook, but you can use dried.
- To make your lasagne, set the grill to high. Slice the aubergines thickly into rings (getting 12 slices from each). Brush both sides with a little oil and pack them on a baking sheet. Grill for 4-5 mins on each side, until browned. Set aside, then oil and grill the onion slices until just browned.
- Meanwhile, cook the lasagne sheets in a pan of boiling water for about 4 mins. Drain well and set aside.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Put 4 pieces of lasagne on it, brush them with oil, then pile on 2-3 slices of aubergine, a few onion rings, a couple of slices of mozzarella, seasoning and ½ a tbsp of pesto. Brush the other pieces of lasagne with oil, arrange at angles on top and repeat the aubergine, onion, cheese and pesto layering.
- Bake for 10-15 mins, until the cheese is melted and browning. Serve on hot plates, drizzle with extra olive oil and garnish with basil.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 402(kcal)
- Fat 29.0g
- Saturates 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.