Cheese and spinach pasta bake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This cheese and spinach pasta bake is easy to make and filling too. Perfect as a hearty lunch with fresh salad leaves or a light dinner, this pasta bake recipe combines a delicious homemade sauce together with an eggy, omelette mix which gives the bake a light texture. Topped with more cheese for a crispy finish, this bake is simple and sure to go down a treat with the kids. Packed with fresh spinach leaves, this recipe will serve between 4-6 people and works out as 490 calories per serving.
- 250g robust fresh spinach
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 100g penne or similar pasta
- 60g butter
- 60g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 4-6 gratin dishes, buttered
Add shredded chicken or beef to make this dish even more filling
- Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Put a baking sheet in to heat up. Place a pan on the heat and add the washed spinach, cover and cook for a couple of mins, until just wilted. Drain well and set aside.
- Put the pan back on the heat, pour in boiling water, add some salt and the pasta and cook until just tender. Drain well. Run cold water through it and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium-sized pan, add the flour to make a thick paste and cook for a couple of mins. Gradually add the milk, beating well to make a thick sauce. Cook for a few minutes, then add some grated nutmeg and plenty of seasoning, the cheese, the egg yolks, pasta and chopped spinach.
- Whisk the egg whites until firm, beat a spoonful into the cheese sauce, then fold in the rest. Divide between the dishes, put them on the hot baking sheet and bake for 30-35 mins until risen and golden.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 490(kcal)
- Fat 31.0g
- Saturates 17.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.