Chorizo and spinach
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Try this tempting easy tapas dish and enjoy the tastes of Spain in one mouthful. This simple recipe is a great way to combine the smokey, spicy flavours of the chorizo into the soft, wilted spinach leaves. The perfect starter for a dinner party or tapas style dish for enjoying in the summer sunshine. Serve with crusty bread or a cheese selection to make it a bigger dish that can be shared with the whole family. Each portion contains 180 calories per serving.
- Olive oil
- 1 pack Spanish smoked cooking chorizo
- 150g robust spinach leaves, just washed
The sausages can be cooked the day before, then griddled just before serving.
- Splash a little oil in a frying pan and cook the sausages according to pack instructions, for about 10 mins, until just browned all over. Take them out of the pan and leave to cool on a plate. Pour the oil into a small pot and keep it.
- When ready to serve, heat a griddle pan until really hot. Cut the sausages in half lengthways and heat them through, cut side down on the griddle for a couple of mins, to char on the ridges.
- Meanwhile, add the spinach to a hot pan, cover and let it wilt — for a couple of minutes. Drain well.
- Spoon spinach onto the plates, and put the chorizo on top. Grind black pepper over and drizzle with the chorizo oil.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 180(kcal)
- Fat 44.5g
- Saturates 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.