Spanish tortilla with artichokes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This Spanish tortilla with artichokes is a classic recipe for a potato omelette with whatever you like added to it! This recipes is a storecupboard standby using a jar or ready-prepared artichoke hearts and is the perfect choice as a hearty breakfast, quick lunch or filling dinner. This tortilla serves between 10-12 people and takes up to 25 mins to make. Top with grated cheese and serve with fresh, crisp salad leaves.
- 280g jar artichoke hearts, quartered, in oil
- 500g peeled weight large potatoes, chopped into 1.5cm cubes
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 large eggs
- Good handful of roughly chopped parsley
Instead of artichokes, add fried diced chorizo, spinach or broad beans - whatever you like!
- Drain the oil from the jar of artichokes and put 2tbspo of it in the pan over a medium heat. Add the potato, onion and some salt, then cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are just tender, for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a large bowl and season well. Tip the onion and potato mixture into the eggs and stir in the artichoke hearts and parsley. Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and, when hot, pour the egg and potato mixture back in and press it down lightly. Cook over a medium heat, running a spatula around the edges every so often until the edges are set but the middle is still a little runny.
- Place a large flat plate, upside down, over the pan and invert the tortilla. Add a little more oil to the pan, then slide the tortilla back in (cooked side up). Cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes, until it sets. Take off the heat, leave for 5 minutes, and then tip out onto a board for serving warm or cold. Cut into wedges.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 107(kcal)
- Fat 6.0g
- Saturates 1.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.