Nutella chocolate cake
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
This Nutella chocolate cake recipe is a favourite! If you’re a massive Nutella fan you’re going to love this recipe. A rich chocolate sponge cake made with Nutella and topped with, you guessed it, more Nutella! This delicious, gooey chocolate cake is perfect served alongside vanilla ice or a dollop of fresh cream - serve for dessert or as an afternoon treat with a cuppa. The trick is to make sure the cake is not completely cooled when spreading the Nutella on top – the slight warmness to the cake will make the Nutella melt and make it much easier to spread evenly. This delicious cake serves 6-8 people and will take around 45 mins to make and bake. Store this cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Want to decorate this cake? Turn it into a chocolate fingers cake with this recipe!
IngredientsFor the cake:
- 100g butter
- 100g Nutella
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- ½tsp baking powder
To decorate and fill:
- To make this chocolate cake, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line 2x 21cm/9inch cake tins with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk all the ingredients together using an electric hand whisk. Once combined, pour into the cake tins making sure you’ve got an even amount in each.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until springy to touch.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack but don’t let them cool completely. When the two cakes are warm, decide which is going to be your base and spread with a thick layer of Nutella.
- Pop the top cake onto the base and press down firmly sandwiching them together. Cover the top of the cake with more Nutella and spread with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.