Prep time:including chilling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Thought that Nutella was good enough already? Wait till you hear about this recipe for homemade Nutella truffles with a molten hazelnut chocolate middle... Everyone always says that homemade is better than buying in the shops, but with these Nutella truffles that really is the case! With a rich, chocolate coating and a surprise caramlised hazelnut center, these truffles are the perfect food gift or special treat for the whole family. This recipe makes 15 regular sized truffles and takes 55 mins altogether. Store the truffles in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
- 30g caster/superfine sugar
- 15 whole hazelnuts
- 50g plain chocolate
- 150g Nutella
- 2tbsp single/light cream
- 30g hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
You could cover the outside of the truffles with colourful sprinkles for the kids
- In a saucepan, dissolve the caster/superfine sugar with 2 tbsp water to make a caramel. When it is ready, add the hazelnuts and mix thoroughly. When the hazelnuts are well coated with caramel, place them on a sheet of baking parchment and leave to dry.
- In a saucepan, melt the plain chocolate cut into pieces with the cream and Nutella. Mix thoroughly until well combined then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop up a nut-sized piece of the chocolate mixture. Add a caramel-coated hazelnut and roll in the palm of your hand to form a small ball. Repeat until all the mixture has been used, then roll the balls in the toasted, chopped hazelnuts. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Nutella: The 30 Best Recipes, published by Jacqui Small, £8.99 Hardback. All photos © Larousse