Strawberry and kiwi pavlova
Skill level: Bit of effort
Make your very own strawberry and kiwi pavlova and impress your friends and family with this recipe. Bake your meringue the day before and then to serve top with whipped double cream, strawberries and kiwi-fruit. Spoon over passion-fruit pulp and serve straight away. This delicious, flavoursome dessert is sweet and moreish. Serve with ice cream or a dollop of fresh cream. This recipe serves 10 people and should take 1hr to cook. Store in the fridge.
- 4 large egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 level tsp cornflour
- 2tsp white wine vinegar
- 400ml double cream
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- About 400g strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 kiwi fruits, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 passion fruits, halved and pulp scraped out
- 1 large, flat baking tray, lined with baking parchment which has a 23cm (9in) circle drawn on it
Make the pavlova the day before you need it, leaving it in the turned-off oven overnight.
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Using a hand mixer, whisk the egg whites to a stiff foam, then whisk in half the caster sugar until you get glossy peaks. Whisk in the half the rest, then the last of the sugar. Blend the cornflour with the vinegar and whisk in.
- Spoon the meringue onto the baking parchment on the tray, keeping it even and round.
- Put the meringue in the oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 100°C/200°F/Gas Mark 1/4 and bake for 1 hour. Turn the heat off and leave it to cool in the oven.
- To serve: Whip the cream with the icing sugar to medium-soft peaks. Pile the cream into the pavlova and scatter with the strawberries and kiwi fruit. Spoon passion-fruit pulp over and serve straightaway.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 335(kcal)
- Fat 22.0g
- Saturates 13.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.