Treacle and lemon tart
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Treacle and lemon tart is a delicious take on a classic English dessert - melt in the mouth treacle tart is a timeless favourite but with a hint of lemon this tart is extra special. This tart is extra sticky, sweet and soft too. Serve with a dollop of fresh cream or ice cream for dessert but if you want to save time you could use shop bought pastry instead. This tart will take 35 mins to make altogether and serves 10 people.
IngredientsFor the pastry:
- 75g mixed butter and
- Vegetable fat, chilled
- 150g plain flour
- 700g golden syrup
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2tsp ground ginger
- 200g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 23cm fluted, loose-based tart tin
If you want to make a more traditional tart then use our classic recipe.
For extra speed, use ready-made short or sweet pastry, or a ready-baked pastry case.
- Cut the fats into slivers and rub into the flour to breadcrumb stage. Add 2 tbps water and bring together to make the pastry. Roll it out to line the tart tin. Chill for 20 mins.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put a baking sheet into the oven to heat up.
- Put the syrup in a pan and just warm it through, stir in the lemon zest and juice, ginger and breadcrumbs, then pour into the pastry case. Put on the hot baking sheet.Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm, or cold, with custard or cream. Reheat for serving the next day.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 39(kcal)
- Fat 0.7g
- Saturates 0.4g
- Sugars 0.0g
- Salt 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.