Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our baking blogger Maxine Owen is baking around the world and this delicious and impressive-looking strawberry roulade is a French favourite. With layer upon layer of sweet sponge, cream and strawberries, this mouth-watering cake is ideal for dessert. Once you've perfected this recipe you can experiment with flavours - add cocoa powder to the sponge for a chocolate roulade or swap the strawberries for raspberries or blackberries instead.
- 75g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 75g self raising flour
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- Small pot of double cream
- 1 punnet of strawberries, chopped (reserving some whole for decoration)
- White chocolate sticks
- Freeze-dried strawberry bits
Swap the double cream for whipping cream instead for a speedier filling
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 6 and line a swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, this should take about 5 mins.
- Sift the flour and fold in with the vanilla extract.
- Pour into the tin and bake for about 12-15 minutes
- Turn out onto a piece of baking parchment that has been dusted with sugar. Roll up the sponge and allow to cool.
- Whisk the cream until thick, unroll the sponge and spread some cream over. Sprinkle chopped strawberries over, then re-roll the sponge and transfer to a serving plate.
- You can then pipe cream on top and decorate with the whole strawberries, and chocolate sticks. Finish off by sprinkling with freeze dried strawberries.