Annabel Karmel's teddy bear tortilla
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This cute teddy bear tortilla will encourage the kids to eat all their tea and is a healthy vegetarian option. Try getting the kids to top their own tortilla with different veggies to make lots of different silly faces.
- A knob of butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- Half small red pepper, diced
- 100g cooked new potatoes, sliced
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 5tbsp grated parmesan
- 2tbsp milk
- 2 small cherry tomatoes
- 1 larger cherry tomato
- 2 slices brown bread
- A little butter
- Sliced Swiss cheese eg: gruyere
This recipe is easy to make for more people, for example just double the quantities, add to a slightly larger pan and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Melt the butter in a small omelette pan (20cm diameter). Add the onions and pepper and slowly sautť for 10 to 12 minutes until soft. Add the potato and fry for one minute. Season. Mix the eggs with the milk and parmesan and pour over the onion mixture. Cook for a few minutes until the tortilla is starting to set around the edges. Itís a good idea to lift up the edges once beginning to set and allow the liquid egg to run underneath. Meanwhile, preheat the grill.
- Place the omelette under the grill for 3 to 5 minutes until golden on top and the middle is set. Tip it out onto a plate.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on the tortilla for eyes (you can cut a thin slice off the base of the tomatoes if necessary). Place the larger tomato in the centre to form the nose.
- Using a round 5 cm diameter cutter make a pile of cheese sandwiches and pile them on either side of the tortilla to make the teddy bearís ears.