Maxine's coconut and lime cupcakes
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our baking blogger Maxine Owen is baking around the world and has made these delicious Caribbean inspired coconut and lime cupcakes. With this simple recipe you can make these sweet cupcakes too. Topped with a cream cheese frosted, and dusted with coconut and lime curls, these cupcakes will be the talk of the town!
IngredientsFor the sponge:
- 175g self-raising flour
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 220g golden caster sugar
- 150g softened butter
- 3 eggs beaten
- 125ml coconut milk
- 50g desiccated coconut
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
For the topping:
- 75g unsalted softened butter
- 75g cream cheese
- 300g icing sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 limes
- 2tsps of lime juice
- Lime zest to decorate
- Desiccated coconut
Swap the lime for lemon instead
- To make this cupcake recipe, preheat oven 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs a little at a time. Sieve the flour and baking powder together.
- Fold in one half of the flour mixture and beat well. Add half the coconut mixture and beat in then the rest of the flour followed by the rest of the coconut milk and the lime juice and zest and beat again. Fold in the desiccated coconut.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 cases and bake for 20-25 mins, until firm but springy to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.
- Make the topping by whisking the butter and cheese together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Whisk in icing sugar a little at a time. Then add the zest and juice and mix in.
- Pipe this frosting onto the top of each cupcake, and decorate with some coconut and lime zest.