Apple crumble tray bake
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
This apple crumble tray bake is so simple to make and delicious too. With a sweet cinnamon infused topping and a soft almond sponge, this cake combines a classic apple crumble recipe with a nutty, moist almond sponge. Made for our bake sale for Bake-A-Wish as part of the Make-A-Wish foundation it disappeared pretty fast off of the bake sale table! Serve on its own or with warm custard or ice cream for dessert. Store in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.
IngredientsFor the sponge:
- 150g plain flour
- 1-2tsp baking powder
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 med eggs
- 50g ground almonds
For the apple topping:
- Our classic stewed apple recipe
- 100g mixed dried fruit or raisins
- 1tsp cinnamon
For the crumble:
- 10g butter
- 10g sugar
- 20g self-raising flour
- 20g porridge oats
Have you got some crumble mixture leftover? Don’t worry you can freeze it and save it for another time!
- Preheat oven 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line a deep baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk all of the sponge ingredients together with an electric hand whisk. Once light and creamy spoon into the baking tray and bake for 20-30 mins until golden.
- Meanwhile prepare the apple topping by using our classic stewed apples recipe. Cut the apples into cubes instead. Add in the mixed dried fruit and cinnamon half way through and stir. Leave to cool.
- Make the crumble topping by mixing all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Use your hands and sprinkle the mixture with your fingertips to make a breadcrumb type consistency.
- Grease a baking tray with some butter and pour the crumble mixture onto the baking tray. Cook in the oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for 10-20 mins until golden and crisp. Make sure you shake the crumble mix ever 5 mins so it evenly bakes.
- Once all of the layers have cooled it’s time to assemble your cake. Put the sponge onto a wooden board and spoon on the apple topping pushing firmly down onto the sponge with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top covering the apple evenly. Cut into squares and serve.
Like this tray bake? You'll love our collection of easy tray bake recipes