Salted caramel brownies
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
When it came to making some delicious treats for our Bake A Wish bake sale, we just had to combine two of our favourite recipes together to make the ultimate naughty bake: salted caramel brownies. A little homemade salted caramel will bring a lovely new flavour to your brownies - especially if you bake your brownies with salted butter.
- 2 x 100g bars dark chocolate
- 100g salted butter, very soft
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 large free range eggs, beaten to mix
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 60g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 150ml double cream
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 30g salted butter
- Pinch of sea salt
You can buy pots of ready made salted caramel in the shops if you're pushed for time
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Break up the dark chocolate and melt in the microwave in short bursts, stirring in between. Leave to cool slightly.
- Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of a food mixer and beat until fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, beating well after each addition, then add the vanilla essence.
- Spoon the cooled melted chocolate onto the mixture then mix in thoroughly. Sift the flour and cocoa onto the mixture and gently stir in. When completely combined spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread evenly.
- Bake in the heated oven for about 20 mins until firm to the touch but still a bit fudgy. The chocolate will continue to cook slightly for a few mins after coming out of the oven.
- While the brownies are cooking, make the salted caramel. Place the cream, sugar and butter in a small pan. Heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 mins until thickened and smooth. Cool slightly, taste the sauce and add a large pinch of salt to taste. Leave to cool until nice and thick.
- Leave the brownie to cool in the tin before spreading a thick layer of salted caramel on top. Place in the fridge to set, slightly. Remove the brownies from the fridge to carve out the slices while the caramel is still slightly soft and place back in the fridge to set completely.
- This recipe makes 8 large brownies or 16 smaller fingers.