Orange and almond loaf cake with maple syrup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This tangy orange and almond loaf cake is the perfect afternoon treat to share with friends or for a quick snack when the kids get home from school. The loaf is made with a soft, orange-infused sponge and a crisp flaked almond topping, great for sharing. Drizzle the top of your cake with maple syrup for a glossy finish and the maple syrup will also keep the sponge nice and moist - bonus. You can store this loaf cake in an airtight container and it will keep for up to 3 days, but we bet it won't last that long anyway!
- 200g plain flour
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 1-2tsp baking powder
- 4 med eggs
- 2tsp orange essence
- Zest of 1 large orange or peel mix
- Flaked almonds
- Maple syrup (optional)
You could try this recipe with lemon instead!
- Preheat oven 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl mix all of the ingredients together with an electric hand whisk until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and sprinkle the top with flaked almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins, once it begins to brown, cover in greaseproof paper so it continues to bake but doesnít continue to brown. Bake for a further 10-15 mins until springy to touch. Push a skewer through the center of the loaf to double check itís cooked the whole way through. If it comes out clean, itís done.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Whilst itís warm, drizzle with maple syrup to soak the top of the sponge a little. This will also give it a nice shine.
- Cut into thick slices and serve with a warm cuppa or ice cream for dessert.
If you want to make a classic orange sponge, try our recipe.