Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
We're always after new ideas for cakes so when we asked on our Facebook page what you'd like to see us make - we were very pleased with the answer! A Millionaire's cake! Why had we never thought of it before? The classic combination of dark chocolate and caramel is transferred from it's usual shortbread base to this vanilla sponge. Delicious!
- 150g sugar
- 150g butter
- 3 eggs
- 150g self-raising
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- Few drops of vanilla essence
For the filling and topping
- Ready made caramel
- 200g bar of dark chocolate
You could make this cake with homemade salted caramel
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Line or grease 2x 20cm/8" round cake tins.
- Combine all the cake ingredients together and mix well. Pour the mixture evenly into the two prepared tins and bake for 20-25mins until golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a microwave in short bursts, stirring in between. Allow to cool.
- Once the cakes have cooled, sandwich together with a thick layer of the ready made caramel and pour the melted chocolate over the top of the cake. Place in the fridge until the chocolate sets.