Christmas cranberry turkey pie
Prep time:plus cooling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This is a great way to use up any leftover turkey from Christmas dinner. This delicious pie recipe combines sweet, fresh cranberries and tender turkey pieces together, baked in a buttery pastry case and topped with a festive pastry star. You can make the pastry from scratch or you can use shop-bought pastry, it is completely up to you! Plus it doesn't take too long to prepare either. The perfect treat for the whole family on Boxing Day!
- ½ quantity hot water crust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten, to glaze
- 25g butter
- 25g plain (all purpose) flour
- 300ml whole milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 50ml double cream
- 3tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 115g prepared cranberries, thawed if frozen
- 50g caster (superfine) sugar
- 115g cooked turkey meat, finely chopped or minced
- 115g cooked gammon, finely chopped or minced
If you don’t want to make a white sauce, you can use a combination of reduced fat mayonnaise and yogurt.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Grease and line a 20cm (8inch) diameter, 4cm (1¾inch) deep loose bottomed cake tin. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry quite thickly to fit the tin and transfer the pastry inside. Trim and reserve the trimmings.
- Push a circle of baking parchment into the pastry case and fill to three quarters with baking beans or raw pulses or rice. Place the tin on a baking tray and blind bake for 20 mins.
- Remove the beans or rice and paper and remove the pastry from the tin. Put on a baking tray, prick the base with a fork and brush inside and out with egg. Bake for a further 20 mins until richly golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, roll out the trimmings thinly and cut out a 11cm star shape. Place on a lightly greased baking tray, prick lightly with a fork and brush with beaten egg. Bake for 12–15 mins until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For the filling, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Add the bay leaf, cloves and nutmeg. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, until boiling, then simmer for 2 mins. Remove from the heat, stir in the cream, 2tbsp parsley and seasoning. Set aside to cool. Discard the bay leaf and cloves.
- Put the cranberries in a small saucepan and add 2 Tbsp water. Heat gently until steaming then simmer for about 3 mins until the berries just begin to soften. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar. Leave to cool.
- To assemble the pie, put the pastry case on a serving plate. Put the turkey and ham in a bowl. Mix in the sauce and season to taste. Spoon into the pastry case and top with the cranberry mixture. Either serve immediately at room temperature or chill for an hour before serving. Sprinkle with remaining parsley to garnish.
Comfort Pie, Kathryn Hawkins, (RRP £14.99) New Holland Publishers (UK) Ltd