Rocky road chocolate log
Prep time:plus cooling
Skill level: Bit of effort
Rocky road chocolate log is the perfect festive dessert to make when you’re looking for an alternative to the traditional chocolate yule log. With soft marshmallow fluff, squidgy mini mallows, crunchy nuts and chocolate chips, this is an easy recipe that will surely please anyone with a sweet tooth. Having everyone over for an early Christmas celebration or even for the big day? Surprise guests with an out of the ordinary chocolate log, they will certainly love the abundance of sweet treats that this dessert includes. You can also pick a different kind of nut if you’re not particularly fond of almonds, or even replace them with chunks of your favourite biscuits for an even more indulgent treat. If you want to make it fun for the kids, especially as they start to get anxious about the presents, get them to pick the biscuits or chocolates for the log, or even give you a little hand in the kitchen. Have it by itself as a dessert or if you're feeling particularly good to yourself, try serving it up with some chocolate or vanilla ice cream.
- 6 large eggs (separated)
- 150g caster sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 jar of Marshmallow Fluff
- 100g white chocolate chips
- 100g milk chocolate chips
- 100g dark chocolate
- 150g mini marshmallows
- 100g flaked almonds
The almonds can easily be substituted for other finely chopped nuts or chunks of biscuit if you prefer.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4/350°F. Line a shallow baking tray with baking paper.
- Whisk the egg whites with a couple of spoonfuls of sugar until it forms stiff peaks
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks, vanilla and remaining sugar until pale and thick.
- Sift in the cocoa to the egg yolk mixture and combine. Add a large dollop of the egg white mixture and mix in thoroughly to loosen.
- Gently fold in the remaining egg white taking care to knock as little air as possible out of the mix.
- Spread evenly using a spatula onto the baking sheet and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, until just cooked.
- Leave to cool slightly before tipping out onto another sheet of baking parchment. Carefully peel off the baked paper. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to cool.
- While the sponge is cooling melt the dark chocolate gently in a microwave in 20 second bursts until smooth to make the rocky road. On a baking paper-lined tray, roughly drizzle half the melted chocolate and add the marshmallows, almonds and chocolate chips before drizzling with the remaining chocolate. Leave to cool.
- Uncover the sponge and spread thickly with the Marshmallow Fluff and chunks of the cooled rocky road.
- Using the baking paper, gently roll the whole thing up to create a roulade shape.
- Top with the remaining rocky road and sprinkle with icing sugar.