Hanging cone decorations
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Make your Christmas tree extra special this year by adding a few edible decorations. These hanging cones are so easy to make and can be filled with any fillings you can think of! Make them with the kids and get them to fill the cones with their favourite treats. Make sure you don't over-fill them, though, as they might be a bit too heavy, and tie them to a strong branch so they can stay on the tree. They're a really fun and original idea, but beware, they won't spend too long on the tree - they're just too tasty!
See more of our creative edible Christmas tree decorations
- 6 thick, quality ice cream cones
- 50g milk chocolate
- Sprinkles, icing sugar or desiccated coconut
- Mini marshmallows, sweets, chocolate coins or filling of your choice
- Thick ribbon or string
- Long wooden or metal skewer
- Melt the chocolate in short bursts in the microwave, stirring in between. Allow to cool.
- Pierce the cones with a skewer to make the holes for the ribbon. Choose the location on one side about 1/2 inch down to ensure stability and pierce straight through the cone to the opposite side.
- Dunk the tip of the cones in the melted chocolate then immediately roll in the sprinkles, icing sugar or coconut to give the cones a festive rim.
- Place of a piece of greaseproof paper and put in the fridge to chill.
- Thread the ribbon through each hole on the cone and do a small knot to secure.
- Fill the cone with your chosen filling and hang from the tree.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.