Warm rainbow cabbage salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This warm rainbow cabbage salad is the perfect healthy side for the cooler months of the year, giving you a fresh crunch with your meal without it being too chilly. With a sweet and sharp mustard dressing, this dish goes well with most things. Taking only 20 minutes, it's an ideal recipe to throw together at the last minute to get an added veggie boost with your dinner.
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely sliced, optional
- ½ a red cabbage finely shredded (about 350g)
- Half a Sweetheart or Pointed cabbage (about 250g), shredded
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 3tbsp pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
- Handful of flat-leaf parsley
- 2tsp wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- Good pinch of soft light brown sugar
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4tbsp good olive oil
This salad is great to serve as a side dish with cooked meat or fish, along with some rice or jacket potatoes. To make it a whole meal in a bowl, add some toasted pecans or walnuts with thinly sliced apple or pear, or a few slivers of cold chicken or even chunks of cheese.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and fennel, if using, for 1-2 minutes. Add the red cabbage and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Tip into a large serving bowl. Add the raw green cabbage and carrot.
- To make the dressing: Whisk all the ingredients together, adding some seasoning. Pour over the salad and mix in well. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds and flatleaf parsley over the top and serve warm.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 129(kcal)
- Fat 10.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.