Cheesy roast savoy wedges with crunchy herbs
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Turn cabbage into a spectacular side with this easy-to-follow recipe. Baked in the oven and finished with a rich cheese sauce, crunchy breadcrumbs and fragrant herbs, this dish makes the perfect vegetable to serve up with any roast meat. With only 10 minutes prep time you can pop this in the oven and forget about it for 40 minutes while it cooks, leaving you with time to get on with other things.
- 1 Savoy cabbage, cut into 8 wedges, core trimmed
- 3tbsp olive oil
- Good knob of butter
- 4tbsp coarse breadcrumbs
- 2tbsp fresh chopped mint or parsley, or both
- 150ml good cheese sauce, to serve
If you like your cabbage a bit softer, blanch the wedges for 2 minutes before roasting them.
- Set the oven to 220°C/428°F/Gas Mark 7. Brush the cabbage wedges all over with oil. Put them on a baking tray. Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning them over halfway through cooking, until softened and the outsides are crispy.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, add the crumbs and fry them until golden. Take off the heat and stir in the herbs.
- Warm the cheese sauce. Spoon a little of the sauce over the top of the wedges, then sprinkle with crumbs.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 135(kcal)
- Fat 9.0g
- Saturates 3.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.