Low-sugar strawberry and vanilla cream loaf
Skill level: Bit of effort
These low-sugar strawberry and vanilla cream loaf make a delicous change from your average bake. Mixing all of the ingredients together to form a dough, you then pop the mix onto a large cookie sheet or baking tray and add the sweet vanilla cream to the centre and bake. The strawberries and almond combination work wonders to give this bake a sweet burst of flavour and crunchy texture - this American-style classic is sure to become a favourite in your household.
IngredientsFor the vanilla cream:
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1tbsp erythritol powder and 1/16tsp Stevia powder
- 100ml whipping cream
- ½tsp vanilla powder or seeds from ½ vanilla bean or 1tsp pure vanilla extract
- 50g very soft butter
For the loaves:
- 60g unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 6tbsp erythritol powder and 1/16tsp Stevia powder
- 200ml coconut flour
- 2tsp ground cardamom
- 2tsp baking powder
For the decoration:
- Small container of fresh strawberries
- 1 egg white
- Slivered almonds
For a delicious variation use fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Preheat the oven 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Melt and cool butter.
- To make the vanilla cream: In a saucepan, mix all the ingredients except for the butter. Bring to simmer. Simmer while stirring continuously until cream thickens. Do not let the cream come to a boil. Leave to cool.
- Add in the butter, little by littel. Keep cream refrigerated. The cream can be made a day ahead.
- To make the loaves: Whisk eggs, yolks, and sweetner until light and airy. Stir the cooled butter into egg mixture.
- Combine coconut flour with cardamom and baking powder. Work the dry ingredients into the batter. Let dough rest as it will rise some more.
- Divide dough in half into two loaves, and place them on the prepared cookie sheet. Flatten the loaves down the middle, and make a small indentation along the entire length. Do not make the dough too thin. Place vanilla cream in the indentation and top with sliced fresh strawberries. Brush edges with whipped egg white and then sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Bake for 20-30 mins unitl golden. Cool on a wire rack.
Excerpted with permission from Low Carb High Fat: Over 40 Gluten- and Sugar-Free Recipes for Pastries, Desserts, and Delicious Treats by Mariann Andersson. Copyright 2013, Skyhorse Publishing, Inc.