Chinese-style chicken with vegetables and noodles
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Tender chicken thighs, used in this recipe, stay juicer than breast and are less expensive too. Combined with classic Chinese flavours like garlic, soy sauce and spring onions, this quick meal is a real crowd pleaser. This delicious family meal also comes in at just £4.76, making it the perfect budget meal for during the week and for when you're watching those pennies. The kids will love all the different colours and you'll love knowing they're getting a healthy dinner, packed with vitamins and minerals.
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 chicken thighs, skin taken off, chicken cut into strips
- 4 blocks (250g) medium egg noodles
- 3tbsp soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ each of a red, green and yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 250g carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut into ribbons using a veg peeler
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and sliced diagonally
To make this even speedier try using pre-cooked noodles and simply warming them through in the pan at the last minute.
- Heat the oil in a wok, add the chicken strips and fry for 5 minutes, to brown.
- Meanwhile, pour boiling water into a pan, return to the boil, add the noodles and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add 2tbsp soy sauce, garlic and peppers to the wok. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the carrot ribbons and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain the noodles, add to the pan with remaining soy sauce and spring onions.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 413(kcal)
- Fat 11.0g
- Saturates 2.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.