Chicken and asparagus pie
Skill level: Bit of effort
This hearty chicken and asparagus pie is great for sharing with a loved one on a romantic occasion like Valentine's Day or a special anniversary. Asparagus is an aphrodisiac so it'll be the perfect dinner to get the night started. Using mushroom soup in this recipe makes a quicker sauces, adds a delicious flavour filling and is cheaper too. This dish serves up to 6 people but if you've only serving it for two, the leftovers would make a tasty lunch or even dinner again the next day. Decorate your pie with a personal message made from pastry using letter cookie cutters and some egg wash to stick them on.
- 2x 230g shortcrust pastry sheets
- 400g chicken chunks
- 200g asparagus, chopped
- 1 onion
- ½ can of mushroom soup
- 100g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 egg
You will also need:
- A pie or tart tin
- Letter cutters
- Heart-shaped cutters
You can use leftover chicken in this recipe too, you don't have to fry in a pan though - just add straight to the pie
- Preheat the oven 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 and grease the pie tin.
- Fry the chicken and onion in a pan on a low heat. Whilst the chicken begins to brown, add in the asparagus and mushrooms and stir.
- Gradually add in the mushroom soup.
- Leave to simmer on a low-heat for about 10 mins, stirring every now and then. Once cooked, leave to cool off the heat.
- Meanwhile prepare the pastry. Roll out the base of the pie, using the pie tin as your guideline. You want the pastry to be a bit bigger than the tin.
- Lift the pastry up and pop into the pie tin, flattening around the edges. Push the pastry around the edges, to mould the inside of the pie tin like a bowl.
- Spoon the chicken, asaparagus and mushroom mixture into the pastry case.
- Roll out the top of the pie, making sure the top is just a little bit bigger than the pie tin. Place on top of the pie and cut off any excess pastry or tuck down the side of the dish.
- Use the leftover pastry to make letters or shapes. Whisk the egg in a bowl and brush onto the shapes before popping on top of the pie lid. Egg wash the whole pie and bake in the oven for 30-40 mins until golden and crisp.
- Leave to cool a little before serving.