Egg in a frame
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This twist on the fried egg sandwich is a fun option for breakfast times - especially for special occasions. This version shapes the egg in the 'frame' into a heart by using a cookie cutter but you can use whatever shape you want!
- 1 slice of bread
- 1 egg
- Knob of butter
- Cookie cutter
You can flip the bread to cook the egg on the other side but you won't get the yolk showing in the frame.
- Add the butter to a frying pan and melt over a low heat.
- Cut your shape from the centre of a piece of bread, making sure there is a still a frame in tact around the shape - this is very important or the egg will run.
- Lightly fry one side of the bread then flip over. Crack the egg directly into the hole, making sure no egg spills outside the shape. Leave the bread in one place initially until the egg starts to cook. Once you're sure the bottom of the egg has cooked, you can move the bread around.
- Leave on a low heat to cook the egg thoroughly.
- Serve immediately, we made shapes from toast to dunk into the egg yolk.
- Baker and Maker