Homemade baked beans
Skill level: Bit of effort
Shop-bought baked beans are packed full of sugar and salt, not to mention a whole load of other additives to give them a longer shelf life. Our homemade baked beans have twice the flavour, hardly any salt and no added sugar (only natural maple syrup to give a hint of sweetness).
- 400g tin haricot beans
- 400g tin cannellini beans
- 1 onion
- 1 gammon steak
- 2 400g tins of tomatoes
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2tbsp barbecue sauce
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- 2tbsp Worcester sauce
The gammon gives baked beans the classic smokey flavour. If you're a vegetarian you can leave it out.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Finely chop the onion and gammon steak and fry lightly in vegetable oil until onion is translucent, using an oven proof casserole dish.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 1 hour, 30 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- If you can, let the mixture cool and refrigerate overnight for the flavours to develop, before warming on the hob or microwave and serving.