Makes: 0.5 litre jar
Skill level: Bit of effort
There's nothing like some sticky sweet and tangy mango chutney to eat with your poppadoms and this recipe is pretty simple to make. Most of the ingredients you'll find in your store cupboard if you make homemade curry, but you will need patience while the chutney is maturing!
- 4 mangoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lime
- 20g butter
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp coriander
- 1tsp tumeric
- 1tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3cm piece ginger, grated
- 400ml white wine vinegar
- 350g light brown sugar
Kashmiri chilli powder is available online or in Indian food shops. If you cannot find it you can replace it with a combination if paprika and cayenne pepper
- Lightly fry the onion, garlic, ginger and dried spices in butter for two minutes.
- Add the mango to pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sugar and vinegar and simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Pour into a sterilised jar while hot and seal.
- Leave for at least two weeks for the flavours to mature before serving with poppadoms.