John Torode’s clam chowder
Skill level: Bit of effort
This delicious creamy clam chowder, made by MasterChef judge John Torode, is the perfect treat for dinner. Made with smoked fish, leek and celery in a thick broth, this dish can be served with crusty rolls for dipping. Clams can be found in most big supermarkets in the fresh fish aisle or you can buy some in your local fish mongers. This recipe serves 8 people and can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. We recommend that you serve it fresh
- 2tbsp butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped and separated equally into 2 bowls
- 2 bay leaves
- 1kg clams
- 200ml white wine
- 6-8 potatoes, cubed
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 celery, finely diced
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 500ml milk
- 300ml cream
- 2 smoked fish fillets, such as smoked mackerel or smoked haddock
- 2 white fish fillets, such as cod or mackerel
- 200g green beans, finely chopped
- 1 can creamed corn
- 1 can sweetcorn
- 8 crusty white bread roll
Serve in bowls with crusty bread or hollow out the rolls and spoon the chowder into the centre to serve.
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and the onion, season well then cook for 5-6 minutes or until the onions start to soften. Add the torn bay leaves, clams in their shells and the white wine.
- Cook the clams for 3-4 minutes then remove the clams from the pan and reserve in another bowl. Add the potatoes, put the lid on the pan and continue to cook until the potatoes have softened but still hold their shape.
- While the potatoes are cooking, pick the clam meat out of their shells and mix into a bowl with the parsley.
- Take a large pot and saute the remaining onion with the celery and leek in the remaining butter over a medium heat, season with salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes until soft. Add 800ml of the milk and place the smoked fish skin side up into the milk then bring to the boil.
- Once the fish has cooked, removed from the pan and leave to cool slightly before flaking the flesh away from the skin.
- Add the green beans, creamed corn and sweetcorn to the milk then add the potatoes, smoked fish and uncooked cod. Bring it back to the boil then add the clam and parsley mixture.