Homemade Toffee Crisp bars
Total time:Plus cooling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This recipe is a great one to make with the kids as there is no cooking needed. Crunchy Rice Krispies are bound together with melted Mars Bars to make a classic caramel centre for these homemade Toffee Crisp bars by Jenny from Mummy Mishaps. Finished with a rich chocolate topping, these bars are much better than the shop-bought versions.
- 125g Rice Krispies
- 175g unsalted butter
- 5 Mars bars, roughly chopped
- 300g milk chocolate
If you want to make your bars look even more like the shop bought classic then you can cover them entirely in chocolate.
- Line a 18x25cm baking dish with grease proof paper.
- Place the butter and the Mars Bars into a saucepan and melt gently over a low heat, stirring frequently.
- Once melted, beat well to eliminate any lumps.
- Add the Rice Krispies and mix well to ensure they have been coated in the mars bar sauce.
- Pour into the baking dish and ensure it is pressed into all three corners and the top is smooth.
- Leave somewhere cool for about an hour.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate.
- Once the krispy mixture is cool, pour the chocolate over the top and smooth it all over.
- Leave somewhere cool again, until the chocolate is cool and then place in the fridge for an hour to set.
- Carefuly remove from the dish and, using a sharp knife, cut into equal sized rectangles – you should get 9 bars to make them toffee crisp bar sized.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge to keep them as crispy as possible and the chocolate firm and chilled.