Sticky yakitori chicken
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Give dinner time a Japanese makeover with this classic yakitori recipe served with soft grilled spring onions and fluffy Basmati rice. The chicken is marinated in soy sauce, sherry vinegar, honey and sesame oil for a flavoursome treat. You can have this made in just 20 minutes to satisfy hungry tummies quickly.
- 4tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3tbsp runny honey
- 2tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2tsp sesame oil
- 400g mini chicken breast fillets
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed, quartered
- 1tsp vegetable oil
- 280g packet Basmati rice (we used Vetee Dine In)
If you’re cooking your own rice, measure by volume, not weight. You’ll need 150ml rice and 300ml salted water. Cover, bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
- Preheat the grill to high and line a grill pan with foil. Meanwhile, mix the soy sauce, honey, vinegar and sesame oil in a shallow dish.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat completely in the soy mixture.
- Put the chicken and marinade on the lined grill pan and grill for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken, push up one end of the pan and arrange the spring onions on the other. Drizzle with vegetable oil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Microwave rice according to packet instructions. Serve the chicken and spring onions with the rice.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 570(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
- Saturates 2.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.