Polenta with saucy mushrooms
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Polenta makes a tasty change from potato mash when served in this way, made soft and creamy by boiling it in milk and seasoned with salt and pepper. This recipe is a great vegetarian meal if you are expecting guests who donít eat meat or just fancy a veggie treat yourself. Made in just 20 minutes this dish is perfect for busy weeknights.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 75g packet pancetta pieces
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g can tomatoes
- 1tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 2tbsp basil leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 400ml milk
- 100g instant polenta
- 75g Parmesan, grated
Experiment with different mushrooms for a change, try a mix of wild mushrooms for added flavour.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, add pancetta and fry for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and fry for 2 more minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and basil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a pan. When it comes to the boil, slowly add the polenta, stirring continuously. Cook until itís thickened to the consistency of porridge. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and stir in the Parmesan.
- Serve the mushroom mixture over the polenta. Garnish with basil leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 361(kcal)
- Fat 20.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.