Swedish vanilla and almond cake
Total time:Plus cooling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Make the most of eggs in this delicious dessert which uses fluffy egg whites in the base and rich egg yolks in the custard topping. This makes an impressive pudding to serve up to friends after dinner. Simply slice a wedge of cake and spoon on some softly whipped cream. This cake will serve up to 12 peoople and will take 40 mins to cook in the oven.
- 2tbsp desiccated coconut
- 5 large egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 200g pack ground almonds
For the topping:
- 5 large egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 150ml double cream
- 100g butter
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- About 3tbsp toasted, flaked almonds, for decoration
You will also need:
- 23cm (9in) spring-form cake tin, well buttered on the base and sides
This will keep well in an airtight tin for a couple of days.
- Set the oven to 200°C/392°F/Gas Mark 6. Sprinkle the coconut in the tin, so it sticks to the butter.
- To make the cake: Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually add the sugar while you keep whisking. Fold in the ground almonds. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until just set. Take out of the oven and leave to cool in the tin, on a wire rack. Take out of the tin.
- To make the topping: Put the egg yolks, sugar and cream in a pan over a low heat and whisk constantly until the mixture turns into a thick custard. Take the pan off the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract. Pour into a bowl, cover closely with cling film and leave to cool and set.
- Stir the custard topping, then spread it over the cake. Scatter with flaked almonds. Serve with whipped cream if you like, although it's very rich!
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 409(kcal)
- Fat 29.0g
- Saturates 11.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.