Mini Egg chocolate brownie bars
Prep time:plus cooling
Total time:plus cooling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
The kids are just going to love these delicious Mini Egg chocolate brownie bars. They're so simple to make, combining rich, gooey brownie, with soft buttercream and a sweet chocolate topping. If you don't have a small loaf tray then you could cook the brownies in a deep tray, like usual, and then cut into rectangular slices for the bars - whatever is easiest for you. Decorate with Mini Eggs or go one step further and decorate with sugar sprinkles and other edible treats.
IngredientsFor this Easter recipe you will need:
For the brownie:
- 100g dark chocolate
- 50g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 30g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
For the filling:
- 110g butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 60ml milk
- Yellow food colouring, optional
- 100g milk chocolate
- 18-24 Mini Eggs
You will also need:
- A small loaf tin tray or a bun tin for round bars
- Cake release spray
Swap the milk chocolate for dark or white instead - the choice is yours!
- Preheat oven 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and spray each the tray with cake release spray.
- Melt the dark chocolate on a low heat in the microwave, stirring every now and then until melted. Leave to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl add the rest of the ingredients and whisk with an electric hand whisk until combined. Gradually pour in the melted chocolate and combine.
- Spoon the brownie mixture into each individual slot in the small loaf tin tray. Bake in the oven for 10-15 mins until springy to touch.
- Leave to cool and then pop out the tin and leave to cool further on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile make the buttercream by combining all the of the ingredients together with an electric hand whisk. Once you’re happy with your buttercream spoon it onto each brownie bar and spread with a knife. Make sure you get most of the buttercream in the centre of the brownie bar to create the ridge – you can use a piping bag if you find that easier.
- Put the bars in the fridge to set a little. Melt the chocolate on a low heat in the microwave, stirring every now and then. Leave to cool a little.
- Take the brownie bars out of the fridge, place on some greaseproof paper and spoon over the chocolate until covered. Pop 3 Mini Eggs on each bar and leave to set.
Credit: Bunny wafers from Lakeland