Prep time:(including decorating time)
Total time:plus cooling time
Skill level: Bit of effort
How cute are these flower cookies? They're the perfect homemade treat or food gift for friends and family and they taste as good as they look. Decorated with sugarpaste and royal icing sugar, these biscuits have a professional finish which can be achieved very easily. This recipe makes approximately 20 cookies varying from small to large.
IngredientsFor the cookies:
- 25g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 medium egg
- 250g plain flour
- Few drops of vanilla extract
For the decoration:
- Approx 500g sugarpaste in assorted colours, eg, pink, blue, yellow and orange
- 500g packet royal icing sugar
- Paste food colourings in blue, yellow, pink and orange
- Sugar-coated chocolates, eg, Smarties
You will also need:
- Baking sheets lined with baking parchment
- Blossom-shaped cookie cutters
- Piping bags and plain writing piping tubes, eg, No 2
You can flavour your cookies with other extracts instead like almond, orange or caramel
- Set the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and salt, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the egg with a spoonful of flour. Beat in the vanilla extract and then the rest of the flour, until the mixture binds together to form a dough. If the dough is very soft, put it in a plastic bag and chill until it’s firm enough to roll out.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 5mm thick and use the cutters to cut out an assortment of sizes. Place them on lined baking sheets.
- Bake the biscuits for 15-20 minutes, or until the cookies start to turn golden at the edges. Remove from the oven and slide the cookies on to a wire rack. Decorate immediately, so that the sugarpaste will stick to them from the heat of the biscuits.
- Knead the sugarpaste to soften it and roll out on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar. Use the cutters to cut out shapes and press on to the hot biscuits.
- Colour the royal icing with food paste colourings and fill piping bags with the writing tubes. Pipe petal shapes on the cookies and place a sweet in the centre of each flower before the royal icing dries.
- Leave the icing to dry and set before serving. Once dry, store cookies in an airtight container, with baking parchment between layers, for up to 5 days.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 364(kcal)
- Fat 10.0g
- Saturates 1.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.