Watercress, avocado, bacon and blue cheese salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
This hearty salad is filling enough to serve as a main course for a healthy lunch or dinner time meal. Packed with salty bacon and creamy blue cheese, it tastes decadent but comes in at less than 300 cals per serving! The simple dressing only uses two ingredients but adds a fresh, tangy finish to round off this perfect summer dish.
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 75-100g bag fresh watercress
- 1 ripe avocado, stoned and sliced
- 75-100g (21/2 -3 1/2oz) Roquefort or your favourite blue cheese
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
Add chicory leaves for extra crunch. Instead of cheese, try this salad with smoked sea trout or mackerel.
- Heat a frying pan, add the bacon and fry until crisp on both sides. Snip into smaller pieces.
- Arrange the watercress sprigs on a platter. Add slices of avocado, chunks of cheese and the warm bacon. Season.
- To make the dressing: Whisk the oil and vinegar and drizzle the dressing over the salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 293(kcal)
- Fat 28.0g
- Saturates 9.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.