Moroccan chicken pie
Total time:plus cooling and chilling
Skill level: Bit of effort
Take your tastebuds on a trip to North Africa with this Moroccan chicken pie recipe. With a crunchy filo pastry crust and a generous chicken and vegetable filling, it's perfect with new potatoes and some fresh salad to make a hearty complete meal. If you've got any leftover, you can serve it cold in lunchboxes or at your next picnic.
- 4 large chicken thighs on the bone, skin on (about 500g/1lb)
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1tbsp finely grated fresh root ginger
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1/4tsp ground cinnamon
- Good pinch of saffron threads (or ground turmeric)
- 2 bay leaves
- 60g sultanas
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g ground almonds
- 90g butter, melted
- 270g pack filo pastry (we used Jus-rol)
- About 4tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- A good handful of flaked almonds
You will need:
- 21cm (81/2in) springform tin
The pie is easier to remove from the tin and serve if left to cool for 20-30 mins.
- Put the chicken thighs, onion, ginger, chilli, cinnamon, saffron and bay in a pan. Season well. Pour in 400ml (14fl oz) or more cold water (enough to cover the meat). Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down, cover and simmer very gently for 45 mins, until the chicken is tender. Leave to cool for 20 mins or longer in the liquid. Take out the chicken, remove and discard the skin and bones and shred the meat into large pieces. There should be about 250g (8oz). Chill.
- Meanwhile, bring the cooking liquid to the boil, add the sultanas and reduce to 300-400ml. Take out the bay leaves. Beat the eggs, add the ground almonds then stir the mixture into the hot liquid. It will look curdled, but don’t worry. Simmer for 5 mins. Pour into a bowl. Add the chicken and cool.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Brush some butter over the base and sides of the tin. Lightly brush each sheet of filo pastry at a time and layer them in the tin, at different angles, so that the sides are lined and there is plenty of overhang for the lid. Keep back one sheet. Add parsley to the chicken filling and spoon into the tin. Cover with half the sheet of reserved filo pastry then fold in the overhanging filo, brushing with butter. Cut the remaining pastry into 4 squares, butter and scrunch them on to the pie to fill in any gaps.
- Put the tin on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 mins, then sprinkle with the flaked almonds and bake for another 15 mins, until golden.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 373(kcal)
- Fat 22.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.