Cheesy chicken Kiev
Prep time:plus chilling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Here at GoodtoKnow, we think that homemade is always better than shop-bought and these cheesy chicken Kievs are proof of this theory! A creamy cheese filling surrounded by juicy chicken and crispy breadcrumbs, these are a real teatime treat - prepare them in advance so you've got something easy to pop in the oven when dinnertime arrives. This recipe serves 4 people and is the perfect dish for the whole family. It's a delicious cheesy twist on a classic! This recipe will take only 50 mins to prepare and cook.
- 4 x 175-200g skinned chicken breasts
- 150g pack Boursin Garlic & Herbs cheese
- 2tbsp plain flour, well seasoned
- 1 large egg, beaten in a shallow bowl
- 60g dried breadcrumbs
- 3-4tbsp sunflower oil
- Lemon wedges, for serving
To cut fat even further, use 100g low-fat soft cheese, adding 2-3 cloves crushed garlic, 4tbsp chopped parsley or tarragon and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the chicken breasts part of the way through, to open them out. Put each breast between two pieces of cling film and pound them to a flat square-ish shape with a rolling pin (not too energetically, you don't want to tear the flesh).
- Divide the cheese into four and put a portion in each piece of chicken, spreading it to a thumb’s length. Fold up the meat, tucking the ends in to make a parcel. Roll them up tightly, individually, in cling film, twisting the ends, to make a tight sausage shape. Chill for 30 mins, or overnight if possible.
- Take off the cling film, coat the parcels in the flour, dip in the beaten egg, then roll them in the breadcrumbs to coat completely.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put a baking sheet in to heat up. Heat a frying pan, add half the oil, then fry the chicken on all sides (don’t forget the ends) two at a time, until lightly browned (6-8 mins), then put them on the hot tray in the oven and bake for 20 mins, until golden and cooked. Serve hot – so the cheese runs when you cut them open – with lemon wedges and salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 528(kcal)
- Fat 30.0g
- Saturates 13.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.