Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Celebrate new potato season with this tasty and easy-to-make potato tart. This recipe uses ready made puff pastry for minimum hassle, topped with layers of potato, tomato and creamy goats cheese, all baked in the oven until golden and crisp. The finished tart makes a great vegetarian main course or a fun alternative to quiche for a picnic or alfresco dinner - and if you've got leftovers, it's perfect for popping into lunchboxes too!
- 500g small new potatoes
- 375g packet ready-rolled puff pastry
- Milk, for glazing
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 90-100g pack goat’s cheese with rind, cut into chunks
- 1tbsp rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1-2tbsp olive oil
Try replacing the tomatoes with slices of red or white onion for a different flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 12-15 mins, or until they are just tender, then drain them and rinse under cold water to cool them quickly.
- Unroll the pastry and cut away the edges. Lay the pastry on a baking sheet and use the tip of a sharp knife to score a rim about 2cm (3⁄4in) from the edge, then score a criss-cross pattern in this rim. Prick the centre area all over with a fork. Brush milk over the scored rim.
- Slice the potatoes and tomatoes and arrange within the centre area of the pastry. Tuck in pieces of cheese and sprigs of rosemary. Season with salt and grind over some black pepper. Drizzle over olive oil and bake for 20-25 mins, or until the pastry is crisp and the top is light golden.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 362(kcal)
- Fat 21.0g
- Saturates 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.